Monday, January 01, 2007

There must be something about Michigan...

I have a friend who is originally from Michigan; she has lived here in Central Florida since at least 1987, when I met her. What I find most interesting is that she has many, many friends still living in Michigan about whom she refers to as dear, close friends. Is that a Michigander trait? I have a couple of coworkers who also hail from Michigan, who also have long-term friends. Now I'm wondering if I'm the only person a little off kilter here. I was born and raised right here in Central Florida, went to school with all the same people through all the years, until I was yanked out of school my senior year and moved up to Western NC for about three years. I remember names of school mates, but we have not kept in touch. In fact, when I was in school I had only one dear friend and she moved away from Central Florida before I did... I wonder if my growing up in an alcoholic, dysfunctional home impacted the lifelong friends thing (I always kept people at arms length, deathly afraid they would find out my shame, or worse yet, visit my home unannounced), or if having lifelong close friends is simply indigenous to Michigan.

I envy that soft cushion to fall back upon when one is in need of an encouraging word or a verbal embrace.

Posted JDaaris @ 11:19 AM :: 5 chocolate drops

Gimme some chocolate!



Free Hit Counters
Counters